RIP Circuit City

Posted by Dietingfashions | 6:56 AM

03-02-2009

Ahhh, Circuit City. Where service is state of the art! The chain of electronics retailers -- currently liquidating at a furious rate -- will be all but defunct as of Sunday, March 8. The "bulk" of the stores still left open are targeting this as their last day.
Although the chain very nearly ruined one of my favorite songs (The Cars' "Just What I Needed") by employing it as their jingle, I have a soft spot in my heart for the red-themed Big Box location. I frequented it long before Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) was in my world, I bought my first laptop there, and it was my CD shopping destination of choice in the late 1990s. Thank you, Circuit City employees, for never laughing at my purchase of the latest from NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys, Mandy Moore, or others.So, for the remaining few days, you can traipse through the skeletal shelves of your neighborhood Circuit City, reflecting on times past, scooping up a copy of American ! Pie for six bucks, or hoping that big-ticket item is still waiting for you at 70% off. Many stores are even selling their industrial shelving equipment. After all, everything must go.
Meanwhile, Best Buy stands alone, but does it matter? Last week, Brian White asked whether Best Buy will surge to renewed prominence with its last true competitor in the dust, or if it will continue to suffer at the hands of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT).
Beth Gaston Moon works for WeSeed.com, "The stock market for the rest of us." The above comments are not intended as trading or investment advice.

0 comments